If you are switching to a vegan diet, there are certain rules you have to follow. Vegans avoid all the animal products from their diets. They only consume various foods derived from plant-based sources. People choose vegan diets for different reasons. Some people become vegans for improving their health, as it can be beneficial for reducing the risk of different diseases and obesity, whereas some others choose vegan diets because they want to protect the environment or they don’t want to harm animals. If you are also planning to switch to vegan diets, you have to be aware of the foods you can eat and the foods you have to avoid. The following are the list of foods to include and exclude from your vegan diets.
Food To Include In A Vegan Diet
Vegans eat plant-based food. Some of the popular plant-based foods that are usually included in the vegan diets are listed below:
- Fruits including berries, oranges, banana, grapes, and pineapple, etc.
- Vegetables such as spinach, broccoli, kale, carrots, beets, and tomatoes, etc.
- Legumes like lentils, beans, and peas.
- Bread, pasta, and rice.
- Plant-based milk such as soymilk, almond milk, coconut milk, and more.
- Vegetable oils.
- Spices like cinnamon, garlic, turmeric, and ginger.
- Herbs including basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, and chamomile.
- Nuts like cashew, almond, pistachios, and walnuts, etc.
- Seeds such as chia seeds, hemp seeds, flaxseeds, and more.
Make sure to include a variety of plant-based foods in your daily diet for getting all the required nutrients. If you stick to only fruits or vegetables, then it can increase the chance of nutrient deficiencies.
Foods To Exclude From A Vegan Diet
Vegans avoid all foods derived from animal sources. The following are the foods that are avoided from vegan diets:
- Beef, lamb, pork and other red meat.
- Poultry including chicken and duck.
- Fish, shellfish, and other seafood including crabs, mussels, and clams, etc.
- Cheese and butter.
- Milk, yogurt, ice cream, cream, and other dairy products.
Avoiding all animal products from your diet can be useful for reducing the intake of fat and lowering cholesterol levels. However, it might result in the deficiency of some micronutrients. Therefore, you need to plan your plant-based meal carefully. When switching to a vegan diet, there are certain foods you have to avoid. Also, you have to include various plant-based foods in your daily diet so that it will be possible for you to get all the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that your body requires.