A vegan lifestyle is approved as one of the healthiest lifestyles that can be beneficial for promoting the general health of humans. However, vegans avoid all the animal products, hence, they may not be able to get some nutrients that are present in these products. One such important nutrient is vitamin B12 that is required by the human body to regulate a wide variety of functions. Even though this vitamin is present in some plant-based foods, they might not be able to meet your vitamin B12 requirements. So there is a great possibility for you to suffer from the deficiency of this nutrient, which can lead to different health conditions.
Vegans should take extra care to include products that contain vitamin B12 for avoiding different problems caused by its deficiency. Hence, through this article, we list the importance of vitamin B12 and the ways to acquire an adequate amount of this vitamin for meeting your daily needs.
Importance Of Vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 has a crucial role in regulating different functions in the human body. Some of them include:
- Help with the formation of red blood cells that are responsible for carrying oxygen throughout the body.
- May help with preventing anemia.
- Might be useful to lower the risk of pregnancy complications and birth defects.
- Can promote bone health and reduce the risk of diseases like osteoporosis that can affect the health of your bones.
- May be beneficial for preventing the risk of macular degeneration.
- Can help to boost your energy and improve memory.
- May help to improve your mood and control the symptoms of depression.
- Can be helpful for promoting heart health.
Problems Associated With Vitamin B12 Deficiency
The deficiency of vitamin B12 can lead to different problems including:
- Tiredness, weakness, or lightheadedness
- Pale skin
- Heart palpitations along with shortness of breath
- Loss of appetite, diarrhea, or constipation
- Vision loss
- Nerve problems like muscle weakness, tingling, etc.
- Mental problems such as behavioral changes, memory loss, or depression
How Vegans Can Get Vitamin B12?
Vitamin B12 is abundantly present in animal products like meat, poultry, fish, dairy products, etc. However, these are not an option for vegans. Hence, they will need plant-based foods for getting enough vitamin B12.
Some fortified foods like certain cereals, nutritional yeast, and soy milk contain vitamin B12. So including them in your plant-based meal can help you to get this nutrient.
But the best way for vegans to get enough vitamin B12 that is required for the proper functioning of the body is from supplements. You can get vitamin B12 supplements directly from the market. These supplements will help you to get an adequate amount of this nutrient to meet your daily requirements.